The diagnosis of cancer is a life altering event. There many physical, emotional, functional, and psychosocial changes that occur while undergoing treatment. CanXercise is an exercise program designed for cancer patients who are actively undergoing chemotherapy and radiation. The mission is to provide a regular exercise program to improve quality of life, physical function, improve cardiovascular health, reduce stress and anxiety. The program is funded by the El Paso Rio Grande Cancer Foundation.
The purpose is to generate a community of patients that promotes a healthier lifestyle through exercise. The program is run by Physical Therapists and Kinesiologists that have an Exercise Science background for special populations. The program is modifiable for all abilities.
Classes are a combination of flexibility, cardiovascular, calisthenics, and light strengthening.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
- Supervised Classes are Monday thru Friday
- Patients can use the gym anytime during business hours, however without supervision
- Program provides each patient with a punch card for 8 class sessions or 8 gym visits free of charge to be used within 60 days.
- After punch card is exhausted, a membership to CanXercise can be purchased for $20.00 a month.
STEPS TO ENROLL:
- Contact your physician to get medical clearance ( Click To obtain Document )
- Come by the gym to sign up
- Obtain your punch card (Click to obtain Document )
- Start Exercising